Not all VPNs keep your identity private while surfing online. Looking for the best VPN available? Well everyone does, but many VPNs leak your personal information even claiming No Logging. So, this guide is for you to cover the best VPNs available to protect your privacy.
A VPN (Virtual Private Network) can keep you hidden from prying eyes & it’s essential nowadays. People start realizing the value of VPNs after losing their privacy (over many breaches).
⏳Short in time? Here is a quick guide for you:
You should get a VPN (Truly don’t log your data) without any history of logging in for better online privacy. Also, the VPN should be free from all kinds of Leaks. It should support tough encryption (nutshell to crack) with double browsing speeds. NordVPN is one such VPN that offers true online privacy supporting Double VPN + Onion over VPN. Allowing them to use six devices simultaneously (Mobile, laptop, tablet, etc…).They are also offering a 30-day money-back guarantee program to taste their service for free.
What is VPN?
VPN abbreviated as Virtual Private Network a handy & helpful tool for your online privacy (Protecting your identity online). A VPN will prevent tracking of your browsing history from your ISP, Government, and other snoopers.
When you are connected to the internet, you will be assigned a new IP Address (VPNs Server) and then all your internet traffic will be routed through an encrypted tunnel to the internet.
How do these VPNs get listed?
Though different VPNs deliver privacy at various levels. We need to ensure some other areas as well use a VPN. Things like Speed, Servers Network, customer support, unblocking websites & content, leak protection, and finally customer support for any issues.
- No Log policy- Though many VPNs claim they are zero logging (we have tested them before narrowing the selection).
- Speed- This is the major factor that you need to consider. Speeds are essential either for streaming, browsing, downloading, etc.
- Servers- The number of servers plays a key role as they help in unblocking the geo-blocked content (if there is no server, you can’t unblock the content available in that region).
- Unblocking capabilities- While maintaining your online privacy, VPNs should be able to unblock streaming services, website content, etc.
- Leak Protections- All the VPNs listed below are tested against DNS, and IP leaks to ensure that your privacy matters a lot.
- Customer Support- No matter the features, VPNs can rock the internet. But without any customer support, there is nothing (if issues arise).
So, considering all these factors in mind. We have filtered all the VPNs available (maintain standard encryption).
Best VPNs for True Online Privacy
1.NordVPN– Privacy Specialist
- 5500+ servers in 62+ Countries.
- Double VPN extra layer of privacy.
- DNS, WebRTC, and IPV6 Leak Protection.
- AES-256 encryption with forward secrecy.
- Unblocks International services Netflix, Hulu, Prime, HBO, iPlayer, Disney+, and Amazon Prime.
- Dedicated P2P servers for torrenting (unlimited bandwidth).
- Supports Onion over VPN.
- Reliable kill switch.
- Strict No-logs policy.
- 30 Days full refund policy.
NordVPN is the perfect privacy partner (the best VPN in the market). You are completely free from logging (based in Panama). All its privacy policies are audited independently. Encryption wise NordVPN is a nutshell (AES-256 bit) over OpenVPN protocol. Their specially designed protocol NordLynx offers twice the speeds of any standard protocol in the market.
NordVPN doesn’t have any DNS/IPv6 leaks so far there is a kill switch to protect your identity (when your connection drops). Along with its simple user interface connects you from 5500+ Servers. Its One-Tap “Quick Connect” connects to the fastest servers only. Know more about NordVPN with a full review.
Hiding your activities from ISP or any government surveillance. Do Whatever you want with NordVPN on your Android, iOS, Windows, and macOS. Well crafted to be effectively used by a beginner. Also a great choice for unblocking the geo-blocked content in different platforms such as Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime, and other streaming Apps.
Double VPN + Onion over VPN Support is the specialty of NordVPN. While you can use this VPN simultaneously on 6 devices with a single account. It’s worth trying it as they are offering 30 days of the money-back guarantee program. You can request an instant refund (if you don’t like their service).
2. ExpressVPN- Better Privacy
- 3000+ Servers in 160+ locations (94 countries).
- Own DNS Server + Onion site accessing.
- Built-in DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 Leak protection.
- Unblock Disney+, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, HBO, BBC iPlayer, and more.
- Tough security encryption (TrustedServers RAM Only).
- Split Tunneling with full torrenting (unlimited bandwidth).
- True No Log Policy.
- Reliable kill switch.
- 24/7 Customer Support.
- 30 Days full refund policy.
ExpressVPN takes another privacy-protector VPN with tough encryption. Running its own DNS server (No one can trace your identity), further, it is secured by encryption (AES-256 over OpenVPN) along with HMAC authentication. There is a reliable kill switch for all of its applications. ExpressVPN is based in the British Virgin Islands (free from any surveillance groups).
ExpressVPN boats OpenVPN, Ikev2, and L2Tp-IPSec, and the most reliable protocols. Ability to choose from 3000+ servers across 94 countries to unblock geo-blocked content or streaming services. While you use this VPN on 5 devices simultaneously with a single account. You can enjoy unlimited torrenting without any data caps.
The prices of this VPN are the same as the features (high). But yet they manage to offer a 30-day risk-free money-back program (Try without any risks) and 24/7 live chat support for all of your problems. If you want then there is a hidden page for low-price subscriptions.
3. Surfshark– Budget Privacy Choice
- 3200+ Servers in Major Countries.
- High performance & security.
- Standard AES 256-bit encryption.
- DNS, IP, WebRTC leak protection.
- Unblock popular streaming services.
- Unlimited torrenting without any bandwidth limitations.
- No Log Policy with a reliable kill switch.
- Unlimited device connections.
Surfshark is the best budget privacy protector. Though it sounds newer to you, this VPN is highly secure and did perform well. Surfshark is based in the British Virgin Islands (No logs anymore). You will get this VPN without much strain at very cheap prices. Surfshark keeps your information more private (AES-256 bit) with perfect forward secrecy.
Surfshark has a reliable kill switch and protection against any DNS, IP leaks along with split tunneling, you can choose from a wide range of server networks with 3200+ servers in different countries. With them, you can unblock almost all the streaming services (Amazon Prime, Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, and others).
The best part about this VPN is “Unlimited device connections“. You can torrent on dedicated P2P servers (without any bandwidth limitations). Also, they offer 45 days risk-free money-back guarantee program. If you don’t want to empty your pockets for a VPN consider this one as an option.
4. CyberGhost- Anonymity At your fingertips
- 6500+ Servers in over 90 countries.
- AES 256-bit encryption with SHA 256 Authentication.
- DNS, WebRTC & IPv6 leak protection.
- Unblock Amazon Prime, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and others.
- P2P optimized servers for torrenting.
- No Log Policy.
- 24/7 Customer Support.
- 45 days money-back guarantee.
CyberGhost is another best VPNs for privacy based in Romania. Your data will be completely secure with AES-256-bit encryption over different protocols that this VPN offers. You can choose from 2200+ servers in more than 60 countries offer.
CyberGhost has a No-logging policy and keeps you safe against DNS, WebRTC & IPv6 leaks. As an additional layer of privacy, you can take the subscription through bitcoin, a reliable kill switch to keep your identity private.
CyberGhost has multiple protocols like OpenVPN, and AES 256 encryption with a kill switch feature to protect you from unexpected disconnections. CyberGhost will also unblock popular video streaming platforms like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and many more that come along the way.
CyberGhost is specially designed to determine which server will work on your streaming services. They also have apps for almost all platforms. Also, they are offering a 7-day free trial for Android, iOS, and Windows.
They offer 45 days risk-free money-back program and 24/7 live chat support for all of your problems. If you want then there is a hidden page for low-price subscriptions.
5. IPVanish- Privacy Beginners
- 1300+ Servers in 75+ Locations.
- Split tunneling with strong privacy.
- Unblock all the popular streaming services.
- Unlimited Simultaneous device connections.
- Endless Streaming with optimized servers.
- Multi-platform Support with a reliable kill switch.
- No Log Policy with superior anonymity.
- 30 days Full Refund Policy.
IPVanish is a very good VPN for online privacy offering strong encryption with a reliable connection. You will find it easy to unblock popular streaming services quickly, spoofing your location among 1500+ servers in more than 75 locations across the world.
Using IPVanish is fun because of its configurable interface you can’t even notice whether you are connected to VPN or not. IPvanish is protected against any leaks and supports standard 256-bit encryption over OpenVPN protocol. There is no limit on how many devices you connect (everyone enjoys this).
Enjoy downloading or torrenting without any bandwidth limitations. They offer a 30-day risk-free money-back program and 24/7 live chat support for all of your problems. If you want then there is a hidden page for low-price subscriptions.
6. Hotspot Shield- Privacy Guard
- 3200+ Servers in 82 locations.
- Standard AES 256-bit encryption.
- Unblocks Amazon Prime, Netflix, Disney+, and other streaming services.
- .Kill Switch & Zero logging.
- 24/7 Customer Support.
- 45-day money-back guarantee program.
Hotspot Shield uses Hydra Catapult protocol with standard encryption of AES 256-bit. This will provide more privacy with virtual servers along with decent streaming speeds to enjoy the content pleasantly. While Hotspot Shield can bypass any government censorship.
Hotspot shield has an internet kill switch to protect your identity. There aren’t been any DNS or IP leaks in recent times, yet it strives to improve the user experience. Though there are some leaks earlier (they are rectified now). Hotspot shield gave its privacy audits to third parties.
While this Hotspot Sheild is compatible with Android, iOS, Amazon Fire, Apple TV, and Chromecast. They are also providing a 45-day money-back guarantee program so you can know what makes this one special among all the VPNs.
7. ProtonVPN– Privacy Protector
- 1200+ Servers in 55+ countries.
- Strict No-logs policy without data caps (unlimited bandwidth).
- Numerous strong privacy protection tools.
- Tough encryption with a kill switch.
- Unblocks most streaming services.
- 5 Supported devices.
- 30 days money-back guarantee program.
ProtonVPN stands out of the crowd in privacy competition with numerous privacy tools and doubling its servers every year. Several improvements have been made like adding new features & support, etc.
Though the server network seems to be very small, there are virtual servers all over to bypass geo-restricted content on the web or streaming services. Swizz-based VPN (100% log-free). Proton VPN comes with AES encryption for tough privacy & powered with Kill Switch to protect your sensitive data.
While there are no IPV6 leaks and compatible with almost all your device platforms. They offer a 30-day risk-free money-back program and 24/7 live chat support for all of your problems. If you want then there is a hidden page for low-price subscriptions.
Limitations of VPN
Though VPNs are helping millions of people to attain privacy, some of them do have some limitations like fewer speeds (when your data is encrypted). It’s not like you can torrent or perform illegal activities legally using a VPN.
Do not use any VPN, whose headquarters is based in Five Eyes, Nine Eyes, or 14 Eyes country. VPNs cannot protect you from malware getting installed on your device (You will need the best antivirus for that).
VPNs are restricted (illegal) in some countries like China, Iraq, North Korea, Oman, Russia, etc. But in most other countries it’s completely legal to use VPN for online privacy or to protect personal information.
VPNs make it easy to protect your online privacy and unblock your internet restrictions. While some of the VPNs like NordVPN do come with cybersecurity (ad-blocker, malware detector) features. But it won’t make any sense to completely rely on a VPN for security against threats or malware.
All the VPNs mentioned above do well if in case you have any issues with them. Try to contact their customer service before concluding.
FAQs Related to VPNs for Online Privacy
Which is the best VPN?
All the described ones are the best VPNs for your online privacy. While some VPNs are great at different departments, you should get a complete package like NordVPN (best value for money) offering all the features.
Do Free VPNs offer privacy?
No, free VPNs are always against privacy (even when they claim Zero Logging). Since free VPNs get money by selling user personal information to third parties or by running ads (collect your data). They also log your data behind. So, for privacy say no to free VPNs.
Are VPNs Legal to use?
VPN usage is legal in some countries, but not in others. You are not allowed to use VPNs in countries like China, UAE, Russia, Oman, Iran, Belarus, etc.
Can I unblock Netflix with VPNs?
Yes, you can unblock Netflix with the VPNs listed above as they have a gigantic network to unblock every country’s content. So, choose a VPN like NordVPN, ExpressVPN, etc having a huge network to bypass geo-blocks and maintain privacy.
Can I Trust VPN Service?
Privacy protectors are always trustable (Not all who claim they are). So, we have filtered out the best of them based on their activities (previous scenarios). I know the VPN industry is on rising, while some VPNs are playing with users’ personal information.